SATISFY YOUR FALL FLAVOR CRAVINGS WITH THE PERFECT BALANCE OF SAVORY AND SWEET TOPPED OFF WITH MIXED GREENS AND A NICE MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE.
With the end of summer drawing near, my taste buds are starting to crave fall flavors like crisp apples, sweet figs, hearty crockpot recipes, and obviously pumpkin spice everything. And with that, one of my favorite things to do this time of year is to visit a local farmer’s market. I usually leave with a huge grin on my face and a bag filled to the brim with colorful, plump produce, fig spread, and a creamy block of cheese. Not to mention, supporting local agriculture is always a huge plus in my book!
If you’re not ready to dive head first into heavier dishes just yet, than try this refreshing roasted beet and citrus salad. It’ll surely help you make a smooth transition into the up and coming season. It’s the perfect balance of savory and sweet topped off with mixed greens and a nice mustard vinaigrette. It screams, “Summer is still here, but fall is near!” To make it even tastier, head to the nearest farmers market to pick up the ingredients. You’ll likely find everything on the list and the best part – it’s all in season and the taste will be just as vibrant as it is in color.
- 3 small red beets, peeled and sliced into 6 wedges each
- 3 small golden beets, peeled
- 4-5 cups mixed greens
- 1 blood orange, peel removed and sliced into rounds
- 2 valencia oranges, peel removed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, peel removed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved
- 2-3 tablespoons pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons microgreens
- 1 tablespoon dijon or honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil plus more for coating the beets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper